Tuesday 18 November 2008

The 99 Minute Barrier

Peyton Westlake was horrifically burned. Dead to the world, he became...Darkman.

I am like Darkman in several respects, one of which I would like to describe to you. Today, I broke my 99 minute barrier. I haven't perfected a light-resistant polymer of course, but Westlake's scientific triumph in the field of synthetic skin is paralleled by my economic one: I just got promoted.

From the 1st January 2009 I start a new job, and as exciting as that is in itself, I am especially elated at the prospects this could afford my family. A house of our own, a child, a wedding. These things are possible because of what I shall refer to as "Brinkman's fortune".

Tomorrow I undergo an operation to remove all four of my wisdom teeth. I'm not sure what I will look like when I come out, but the idea of having a bandaged face (and perhaps a dirty raincoat) as I leap from the windows of Nuffield Hospital is an appealing one.


"My teeth. They...they took my teeth. Hmmv!"

No comments: